Best placed among public sector banks
SBI is India’s largest commercial bank and holds ~20% market share in the banking sector. It has 24,017 branches in India along with 198 overseas branches spread over 37 countries. The bank has achieved consistent growth over the last 5 years (FY12-17) with a CAGR of 15% in total assets, 14% in total deposits, 13% in total advances and 7% in net interest income (NII).
Valuation: We believe that SBI is likely to be a major beneficiary of the economic recovery and is best positioned to capitalize on growth opportunities owing to its strong capital base coupled with relatively lower NPAs among public sector banks (PSBs). Further, stake sale in subsidiaries and disinvestment of non-core assets will provide a cushion to earnings. Therefore, we continue to remain positive on SBI and maintain ‘BUY’ rating on the stock with a target price Rs325 based on sum of the parts (SOTP) methodology where we value its standalone business at Rs272 (P/ABV of 1.4x for FY19E) and subsidiaries at Rs53 (holding company discount: 20%).
Investments in equity shares, debentures, etc., are not obligations of, or guaranteed by Wealth India Financial Services Pvt. Ltd., and are subject to investment risks. Click here to read our full disclaimer.
Other articles you may like
Get FundsIndia’s articles delivered straight to your inbox!
Enter your email address to get:
- Mutual fund recommendations from experts
- Buy, hold or sell calls for stocks
- Investment tips and tricks
- All the latest news from Fundsindia.com
- A Primer on Making Sense of Debt Fund Returns
- Tackle Tax with NPS
- What happens when you start your Equity SIP and the market crashes?
- Change in Fundamental Attributes of ICICI Prudential Balanced Advantage Fund w.e.f. closure of business hours of March 25, 2021
- This Is All You Need To Construct A Solid Equity Portfolio – Your 5 Fingers!